According to the Law on Elections of the Republic City Council and Municipality Council, the Smiltene County Council consists of 15 members, which citizens elect in municipal elections every four years. The council ensures representation of the county’s population.
Tasks of the council:
- to make decisions;
- to determine the municipal structure;
- to decide on the implementation of its functions and voluntary initiatives;
- decide on the procedure by which the municipality ensures the performance of the delegated functions of the state administration and the tasks of the administration;
- to draw up and execute the municipal budget;
- within the scope of its competence, to bear the responsibility for the legality of the actions of municipality institutions and the use of financial resources.
The work of the council is led by the council chairman, who is elected from the council members by voting at the first meeting of the newly elected city council. To ensure its activities and develop draft decisions of the council, three standing committees have been established:
Standing Committee on Finance and Development;
Standing Committee on Culture, Education and Sport;
Standing Committee on Social and Health Issues.